8/29/13

Your Brain on Nature

Wow!  I recently read Your Brain On Nature: the Science of Nature's Influence on your Health, Happiness, and Vitality by Eva Selhub and Alan Logan.

It's not so much that the book provides new information, because much of it my husband and I have discovered ourselves through trial and error and by being aware of how our bodies and minds react to our experiences.  What really impressed me with this book was how it presented the scientific studies that back up our intuitions about the health benefits of being in nature. 

I realized how normal our reactions are, when I thought they were more specific to us.  And I realized that many others aren't hearing (or at least responding to) what their bodies (and their minds) are telling them.  The cost of that oversight can be monumental.

I believe ever more strongly that nature is an essential ingredient in a balanced and healthy life.  I wish that I'd known about these studies while flirting with a psychology major in college.  I wish our society hadn't abandoned the successful trials it had with horticultural and animal therapies after World Wars I and II.  Imagine how many lives could have been positively impacted if they had been expanded rather than discontinued!

The only negative with this book is that the paperback version runs anywhere from $100 to $2,000!  It's out of print, but hey, that is steep.  If you don't have that much money to spend on a book (does anyone besides a Trump or a Lilly?), you can buy the e-text version for under $10. 

What are some of the other books about our connection to nature or the impact of nature on our health or happiness I should read?

No comments:

Post a Comment